Just 50 minutes’ drive from Queenstown over the magnificent Crown Range, Wanaka perfectly complements neighbouring Queenstown. Visitors from around the world are drawn to the Wanaka region by its outstanding natural beauty. Wanaka’s lakes and mountains make it a great base for outdoor activities as well as it’s proximity to Mt Aspiring National Park,
It’s almost as beautiful as Queenstown but not quite (well, we are bound to be a little biased!)
Downtown Wanaka is home to a vibrant mix of restaurants, cafes, shops and plenty of ambient areas to relax and enjoy the amazing scenery. The fishing is superb, there’s a multitude of adventure activities on offer and anywhere you walk you’ll find breath-taking scenery and wide – open spaces.
The Best Things to See and Do in Wanaka:
- ‘That Wanaka Tree’
- Cardrona, Treble Cone and Snow Farm
- The Roys Peak Hiking Trail
- Rob Roy Track and Glacier
- Deans Bank Mountain Biking Track
- Horse trekking the Cardrona Valley
- Jet boating the Matukituki River
- A cruise along Mou Waho Island
- Visit the mind boggling Puzzling World and allow yourselves to get lost in the maze.
- Visit the National Transport & Toy Museum
- Wander around the Warbirds and Wheels Museum
In summer Wanaka is not only a favourite playground for New Zealand families and is home to sun-seekers and boating enthusiasts throughout the long, hot Central Otago summer but also attracts hikers, mountaineers, kayakers, rock-climbers, heli-bikers and day walkers from around the world who revel in the area’s natural attributes and the relaxed friendly atmosphere of the town.
After visiting Wanaka drive back along the Crown Range Road to Queenstown and this time stop at the Cardrona Hotel for a cold drink and in the winter they make a beautiful mulled wine (we recommend) and something to eat. It truly is a beautiful place to sit and relax.
On your way back to Queenstown you may want to call into Arrowtown